We sleep at night for 6-8 hours resulting in a voluntary fasting. To break this fast we call the first meal of the day “Breakfast“. I call it the Golden Meal as the importance of Breakfast cannot be overstated. Human body performs lot of repair jobs during the nights sleep. Therefore on waking up it needs proper nutrition, to prepare itself for the day.
The usual Breakfast consists of Tea/Coffee, Bread, Biscuits, Poha etc. which mostly consists of carbs & some fats and lacks protein. This results in sugar spikes which in turn forces our body to secrete insulin. Excess sugar is converted in fats and constant insulin in blood causes insulin tolerance or Diabetes.
The ideal morning would start with warm water, lime, honey or herbal tea. Exercise for 45-60mins at least that can be a combination of stretching, balancing, aerobic, anaerobic, yoga, strength training, walking. Early morning exercise, strengthens your heart, reduces weight, brings down insulin tolerance. After completing with your exercise, you should take Protein & Fibre, Complex Carbs, Vitamins & mineral rich breakfast or shakes within 30 minutes. Protein and fibre will keep you full for a long time and you will not have hunger attacks. Plus blood sugar will not spike or reduce below required levels.
“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.”
What is the impact on your health if you skip breakfast ?
- School children who skip it have lower brain function & alertness
- Increases chances of getting Obesity & Diabetes
- Risks of cardiovascular diseases, like High Blood Pressure increases manifold
- Reduces fertility in women & can cause PCOS, irregular periods, hair & skin problem, weight gain
- Decreases Stress & Depression fighting ability of the body
- Increases fat content in body & uncontrolled hunger
What are the ideal food items to eat after waking up?
- Dairy or Non-Dairy Milk or Yoghurt
- Eggs, Fruits, Nuts like Banana, Apple, pear, Almonds, Walnut, Raisins etc.
- Muesli & Oats are good choice for breakfast, just make sure to use them without sugar or preservatives.
- Prepare items from Millets like finger millets, sorghum etc.
- Sprouted beans, Chickpeas & Dalia are good choices for Breakfast.
- Skip having Tea/Coffee first thing in the morning.
- Protein shakes are good option if you are short of time to prepare a heavy meal first thing in the morning.
Change your breakfast and change your life. Literally it can have a very strong impact on your life. Connect with me for new protein rich & nutrition filled breakfast ideas !!!