Immunity is the buzzword of current times due to COVID-19 Pandemic. Food products & health supplement companies are trying to sell their product by calling it an Immunity booster. Does it work that way, we will see that later.
First What is Immunity?
- In simple terms, “The ability of our body to fight foreign bodies (Virus & Bacteria) and cancer cells”
Why Immunity is Important?
- Due to COVID-19, we understand the importance of Immunity. A weak immune system leads to a greater vulnerability to various infections. Plus prolonged weakened immune system increases the risk of malignant diseases e.g. Cancer.
- The Immune system sends antibodies to fight foreign bodies but the malfunctioning immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells, tissues, & organs. It is called Autoimmune disease, these attacks can affect any part of the body, weakening bodily function, and even turning life-threatening.
Now About Immunity Boosting, does it really work?
- We need a nutritious diet to stay healthy & a healthy person means he or she is having good immunity. Very Simple!
- Even a healthy person gets infected with a virus or bacteria but the difference is that person will respond to the infection in a better way than an unhealthy one.
- COVID-19 a good example here, major fatalities are elder people & people with co-morbidities, i.e. having Diabetes, Heart diseases, etc.
- As one grows old immunity decreases resulting in more infections and hence the need for supplements.
- The best immunity booster that we currently know is “Vaccine”. That naturally teaches your immune system to fight a particular type of infection.
- Due to pollution and improper use of fertilizers, pesticides, etc the food is not having the required nutritional value. Another reason for Dietary supplements & Immunity boosters to come into our diet.
So what Immunity Boosters do is, try to provide our body the required amount of Micro-Nutrients (Vitamins & Minerals) daily basis. They keep the immune system in an optimal state.
But does having boosters alone help?
The answer is NO, dietary supplements that provide you Macro-nutrients (Proteins, Good Fats & Complex Carbs) are also needed. And yes, research also says that doing Aerobics, Yoga & Meditation can help improve immunity.
Note:- Obesity can weaken the body’s immune system and reduce its ability to fight off infections.
The conclusion is, to keep your immunity in shape try to follow a healthy diet with help of a Health Wellness Coach/Dietician along with the right supplements and proper immunity boosters.
I will make a separate post on Signs of Low Immunity & How to have a healthy Immunity.